Our educational project for primary
The child from 6 to 12 years and the Montessori method
Throughout our Daycare and kindergarten, the child becomes more motor autonomy, he learned to organize his thoughts and develop his concentration. All these years in a Montessori environment are very important as the child reaches the primary loan to tackle a new stage of development. Indeed, this is the age where develops the imagination to understanding and access what is not visible, what is not perceived by the senses. It is this creative faculty which will allow it to quietly move to abstraction. At this age, the child is very curious, interested in everything. This is the time of how, why. Throughout the primary, it will be given to the child the tools to meet this need of intellectual autonomy. We will help the child develop his independent thinking. Montessori pedagogy at six years is based on what Maria Montessori called “COSMIC EDUCATION”. It is a “universal” education that seeks to include the child in the society, in the history of the planet, country, language, numbers it uses. Thus, he becomes aware of the world in which he lives and he becomes aware of his place in this world. To meet this child intellectual need of this age group (6-12 years), Education is based on five key lessons that are given early in the year. These great stories seek to capture the imagination of children. And the goal is to arouse curiosity, interest and wonder.
- The history of the creation of the universe: an introduction to notions of Astronomy, Meteorology, Chemistry, Physics, Geology and Geography. The history of the Evolution of Life: introduction to Biology, habitats, animals, life before (fossil, evolution, extinction …). Using a timeline and evolution of microorganisms.
- The history of the evolution of man. Using a timeline of Man and tools. The history of writing
- The history of numbers
The child’s mind thinking of this age needs to be exercised in a surround expanded intellectually (cosmic education) and physical (classroom and the outside world (outings to the library, museum, theater … are organized by the teachers or by the students themselves in response to a particular search)
A prepared environment
Unlike younger children, children from 6 to 12 years are sociable. It is built as part of a society and it looks much the company of his peers. The children want to stay together. They need to work in groups. This is why the lessons are taken in a small group for developing knowledge, the discussion, exchanging and argumenting.
Our goal at the elementary École Montessori de Laval is to develop children’s independence (intellectual autonomy and work organization). For this, the child has the freedom to choose their work. Of course, this freedom goes hand in hand with responsibility.
We use a weekly roadmap in relation to the lessons that have been furnished with the material (more abstract manipulations and exercises in the book) and the child is free to choose the activity. And its responsibility is to finish everything before Friday. All this under the supervision and with the teacher.
Our elementary class is drawn primarily from the philosophy and environment Montessori (autonomous individual work, respect for individual rhythms, experimentation) but to facilitate the transition to an educational system “traditional”, other complementary educational tools are available (worksheets, workbooks, regular assessments of the skills acquired in the core subjects) in accordance with the official programs of the Ministère de l’Éducation.
The child gets to work
- of himself
- helped by an adult or another child
- invited by an adult at an individual or group presentation (small group)
Children linked together autonomously activities that tempt them:
• take any equipment from the shelves and which was already presented them
• do an activity that has not been assimilated
• finish a started activity: children are encouraged and assisted to always finish what they do. The rule is that each activity has a beginning, a middle and an end.
• research on a specific topic within the framework of a large project on the initiative of one or more children.
• read a book
• To do an experience
• give presentations in small groups: presentation of new equipment, experience, history
• observe children: difficulties, does not turn to work, discoveries made with the material progress
• individually support children who are struggling with an activity.
8:30 to 11:30: start of activities (autonomous work, small group lessons) in maths and French basically.
11:30 to 12:15: Dinner
Before settling for the meal, each child is asked to go wash your hands. Teachers ensure the implementation of table manners, in the heart of the Montessori program “Grace and Courtesy”. Lunch is considered a time of sharing and learning the rules and usages of common life. It does not represent a break in the day. It is a real learning time.
1:00 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.: autonomous work / level group lesson (Science, English, drama, music, sports, social sciences or religious culture)