The Montessori method normally includes children 3 to 6 years in the same room (class) in Quebec, depending on the laws and regulations that age group is managed by two different departments with different requirements. Children 3 to 5 years are managed by the Ministère de la Famille et des Aînés, the 5 years by the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement Supérieur. Hence our obligation under our existing license, to separate the 5 years of this group. That said our method and Montessori philosophy to remain under the 2 groups.
There is no spirit of competition and jealousy, but rather a spirit of mutual aid and respect, love, admiration and enthusiasm. This creates mutual stimulation.
In the class of 5 years, we continue our work to begin in Kindergarten while following the guidelines of the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement Supérieur.
• Help the child to become aware of himself, others, and nature.
• Support the social, artistic, cognitive and physical child.
• Present learning as a personal and joyful experience.
• To develop in children a positive attitude towards others, the community life and school.
• Provide personalized atmosphere, able to meet the child’s needs and help him develop his abilities.
• meet departmental expectations,
• achieve the goals of competency development by year-end.
The proposed activities are divided into five areas of equal value. The time allowed to them is not fixed according to a strict weekly schedule or according to a daily timed cutting.
• practical life activities (more complex and structured)
• sensory exercises
• mathematical activities
• language activities
• stimulating activities: music, gymnastics, dance …